While testing a SOAP service that’s only reachable via HTTPS, I had kind of a hard time before I got soap4r 1.5.7 to connect successfully.
It always bailed out with an SSLError when trying to fetch the wsdl file from the server:
The certificate in question is shown as valid and correct in major browsers, I’m still not sure why OpenSSL behaves like that.
Getting around this problem on the Soap4r side turned out to be a bit tricky, so here’s what I did, mabe it saves somebody else some hours:
After hunting around in Soap4r’s code I found out that a set of
properties gets loaded from a file named
soap/property which is looked
$:. When connecting via http Soap4r takes all props starting with
client.protocol.http from this file and hands them through to the
http client lib.
That knowledge combined with those hints made me put
lib/soap/property, et voila - openSSL still grumbles about the
certificate but at least doesn’t throw errors at me any more.